Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tomato basil pizza

I was in the mood for pizza on the weekend, and wanted to try cooking it on the barbecue. But when it started to rain -- and didn't stop -- on Sunday afternoon, I bit the bullet and turned on the oven to cook one inside.

I used the simple pizza dough recipe, and loaded the top with some small heirloom tomatoes I picked up at the market on the weekend. I'm not a fan of traditional pizza sauce, so I spread the base with some black olive tapenade first; just a thin layer evened out with the back of a spoon.

Then came the tomatoes, each one sliced in half, and some small boccacini balls, sliced in half too. I threw on a bit of leftover chicken as well.

Sprinkle with some fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper, and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and it's ready for the oven.
And here's how it turns out about 15 minutes later. I'm totally throwing modesty out the window and telling you that this pizza ROCKED! It smelled amazing and tasted just as good, especially adorned with a few fresh basil leaves. I may have to repeat this one next weekend -- barbecue or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment