Monday, August 2, 2010

Corn & ricotta cakes

It's corn season, and as much as I like good ol' corn on the cob, sometimes I fancy something different. So when I was flipping through a copy of this magazine, and stumbled on a recipe for ricotta corn cakes, I thought I should give it a try.

I happened to have a tub of ricotta in my fridge, bought on sale and so far unopened (ricotta has a remarkably long shelf life, in case you're wondering). I also bought some corn at the market, so the combination of ingredients seemed destined to combine.

I started by removing the kernals from the corn. Always easier in a bowl.

Then it's just a matter of mixing wet and dry ingredients, and adding in the corn. I halved the recipe, but ended up putting in two ears' worth of corn because one just didn't seem corny enough.

Here they are, cooking away.


And just a few minutes later, I was left with this fine looking plate. The cakes are slightly sweet and made a nice lunch. I also think they would be a great brunch item, particularly if you have some vegetarians 'round.



Corn & ricotta cakes (from Delicious magazine)

2 corn cobs, or 250 g canned kernels
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. self-raising flour (I used regular a.p.)
2 tbsp. chopped chives
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Using a sharp knife, cut down each side of the corn cobs to remove the kernels.

Beat together buttermilk, eggs, ricotta, flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Stir in the chives and corn.

Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium hat and add a splash of olive oil. Using 1/3 c. of batter for each corn cake, spoon the batter into the pan in batches of 2 or 3. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment