Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baked eggs for a Sunday morning

Sunday mornings are the best -- especially if they're the Sunday of a long weekend! This morning I was up extra early so I could hit the farmers' market and beat the crowds (pictures of my haul to come).

But before I left, I made time for a bit of a special breakfast -- or at least a break from my usual oatmeal or yoghurt and fruit.

If you haven't had baked eggs before, you really ought to give them a try. They're easy, tasty and a nice way to start the day.
Start by buttering a couple of ramekins, or oven-proof small dishes. Then, crack an egg in each, and top with a bit of cream, really only a teaspoon or two. Then season with salt and pepper, some herbs of your choice (I used chives, tarragon and thyme from the garden) and sprinkly with a bit of grated cheese if you like.
Then, pop in a 350/375 degree oven, or you can sit them under the broiler if you prefer. They'll take anywhere from five to 10 minutes, depending on how well done you like your yolk. I prefer mine a bit runny so I can dip toast into it.


Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee, and maybe a newspaper, and try not to think about heading back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment