Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Flashback....

..... to the summer. This is a recipe I made on a hot day in August when zucchinis were plentiful and the humidty was high. I forgot all about it until I found the pictures on my camera. Kinda tells you what an impression the recipe had, huh?

I won't lie and say this recipe will be a knockout, but if you're looking for something to do with a fridge full of zucchini (or heck, even two) then this is one suggestion. Unfortunately, they didn't turn out to be the crisp, crunchy bites I was hoping for, but maybe I'm used to the ones served in restaurants that are basically deep fried and full of oil. These babies will be healthier for you, no doubt, but you still might crave the fuller-fat version. Each to her own, right?

Anyway, now that I've done a stellar sales job, keen to see how it all comes together? Let's go!



Start with two zucchinis and gets to gratin'.

Next you need to drain the grated zucchini in order to extract the water. I place it all in a colander lined with cheesecloth and wrung it out. It's amazing how much liquid comes out.

Once everything is as dry as possible, add to a bowl, along with a grated carrot, some chopped mint, corriander seed, a bit of onion, a clove of chopped garlic, and some lemon zest. Toss in few spoonfuls of flour too, and season with salt and pepper.

Beat two eggs lightly and mix into the batter.

Fry them up in a shallow bit of olive oil until crispy and brown on both sides.

And then they'll look like this. Chop some more mint and mix with some yoghurt to make a dipping sauce. Best eaten hot, but I had several cold the next day and they were pretty passable.
Recipe confession time: I originally thought I used a Nigel Slater recipe for these, but I've just tried to find something online and came up empty. So, could be Nigel Slater, or some other source, but really, the basics are listed above, and you can substitute to your likes and tastes (I think a bit of aged cheddar would go nicely!).

*serves me right for posting this three months after I made it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment