Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Espinacas con Garbanzos (Spinach and Chickpeas)

I think I've mentioned my love of chick peas before, and my new-found appreciation for cooking them from dry. Yes, it's a bit of an extra step to soak the beans the night before, but to me, the improved flavour and texture is totally worth it.

I came across a recipe a for chick peas and spinach a while ago and decided to give it a try. Wow! It's so, so good! Such a great combination of tender chick peas and irony spinach (as in the element, not the noun). It's really easy too.

Here's how it starts...

Cooking the spinach in a bit of olive oil. Is it just me, or is it difficult to find mature spinach these days? Luckily I snagged a bag at Farm Boy on the weekend.

Next, browning the garlic, cumin and pepper.

The recipe calls for a separate pot for this, but I just removed the spinach and let the leftover water evaporate before adding more oil and the spices. Fewer pans to clean is always the way to go.

The original recipe calls for some bread to be added at this stage, to be browned and then later pureed in the food processor. I chose to omit the bread and have it on the side at the end. This eliminated one step, and saved me from cleaning the food processor too. I don't think I missed the bread at all.

Once the spices are toasted, in go the chick peas, tomato sauce and spinach. The recipe called for only a half cup of sauce, but because I bought a small can (387 ml I think), I opted to throw the whole thing in. Also, I didn't really measure out my chick peas, but I probably had over 3 cups of them in total. This dish is pretty flexible, so adding a bit more of everything didn't seem to be a problem.

On that note, I actually added more cumin than the recipe called for as well, and I probably should have put in another clove of garlic. This combo has kick, but I liked it!


And here's the secret ingredient for finishing. I bought smoked paprika especially for this recipe and I'm really glad I did. It has a really nice earthy heat that I think will be so good on many things. It definitely adds a unique warmth to the chick peas.


Voila! The finished dish. I served it on a piece of fried bread (in a little olive oil). The bread gets nice and crispy, and then softens up when you pour over the chick pea stew. Apparently it's served this way in Spain for tapas, and I can definiteloy see why. The mixture is spicy enough to heat your palate, but it's also incredibly filling and satisfying -- especially with the bread. I made this on a weekday after work and it comes together very quickly, and makes lots of leftovers. I ate this plate with a glass of Nut Brown Ale and it was a delicious and healthy meal. Not to mention a great way to end a busy day at work!

This one's going in my rotation of recipes for sure.

Espinacas con Garbanzos [Spinach and Chickpeas]
Adapted from SmittenKitchen

1/2 pound (230 grams) dried chickpeas, cooked until soft and tender* or two 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound (450 grams) spinach, washed
A hefty 1-inch slice from a country loaf or about 2 slices from sandwich loaf bread (2.5 ounces or 75 grams), crusts removed and cut inset small cubes
1/2 cup (4 ounces) tomato sauce (I used canned stuff I keep around)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika**
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon juice, to taste

Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add half the olive oil. When it is hot, add the spinach with a pinch of salt (in batches, if necessary) and stir well. Remove when the leaves are just tender, drain in a colander and set aside.

Heat 2 more tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the bread for about 5 minutes or until golden brown all over, then the remaining tablespoon of oil and the garlic, cumin and pepper. Cook for 1 minute more or until the garlic is nutty brown.

Transfer to a food processor, blender or mortar and pestle along with the vinegar, and mash to a paste. Return the mixture to the pan and add the drained chickpeas and tomato sauce. Stir until the chickpeas have absorbed the flavors and are hot. Season with salt and pepper.

If the consistency is a little thick, add some water. Add the spinach and cook until it is hot. Check for seasoning and serve with a squeeze of lemon and paprika on top, or on fried bread toasts (as the Spanish do).

*this dish thickened up the next day, so you'll likely have to add a bit of water to loosen the sauce. Or, just smash up the peas and put them in a pocket, or smeared on some bread. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment