Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A sweet start.....


....to the new year. These molasses cookies will satisfy a sweet tooth, but there's also a hint of spice that's quite nice as well. They're the kind of cookies that remind me of bakery treats -- crispy on the outside, and chewy and flavourful inside. Plus, they've solved the mystery for me of how to get that crackled, almost broken top on a cookie. I think it's the rolling in sugar before baking that does it, but don't quote me (I'm the daughter of a biology teacher after all, not chemistry!).

I amped up the ginger quotient when I made these by throwing in a handful of chopped, candied ginger. A nice addition, if I do say so myself. Are you listening, Martha?

Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies (recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookie Book)
Makes about 36

Ingredients:
-2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
-1 large egg
-1/4 cup molasses

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. (*note: I found I needed less than 1/4 cup)

2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms. Put dough in the fridge and chill it for at least an hour.

3. Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.

4. Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.


These go well with a latte, regular cup of coffee, or even a cold glass of milk. Happy dunking!

1 comment: