Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday pancakes


I'm not really a pancake fan -- I'm more of a French toast kinda gal. But I read this recipe recently and thought I should give it a try. Result? These are the best pancakces I've ever had! The addition of the oats and whole wheat make them really hearty, and because they use so much baking powder, they plump up to some tasty little cakes. This will be my go-to recipe from now on.


(I'm not sure about the nutritional claim advertised in the original recipe, especially given the syrup and butter I added after this picture was taken. In a mild attempt to up the healthful content, I served them with a sliced apple, which I sauteed for a minute in the same pan.)


Whole Grain Pancakes (from Michael Smith, originally printed in the Globe and Mail)

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat, grain or almond flour
1 cup oatmeal flakes
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk or water
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 eggs, or 4 for added richness
1 teaspoon or more of pure vanilla extract

While you mix the batter, preheat a heavy skillet over medium to medium-high heat.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and then pour them into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir the batter until it is smooth, but don't overmix.

Cook until bubbles form, then flip. Keep the cakes warm in a low oven until ready to serve.

Serves 4. I quartered the recipe just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment