Monday, June 22, 2009

Improvised Sunday night sups!

While I have to admit that this show bugs me, (mostly the dippy theme song!) I do like the notion of making a meal out of what you have on hand. Of course, I don't really buy that the show is as improvised as it implies, especially when the chef has a pantry stocked full of stuff most of us never keep. And given the fact that the show's shot on location in PEI, I'm betting a good percentage of those ingredients are trucked in from the mainland. Even the house where they shoot isn't a real home, so I'm totally okay with being skeptical about the contents of Michael Smith's cupboards.

But anyway, as I said, I do like the thought of using what you have available to make a meal. So that's what I did Sunday night.

I'd bought some ground pork earlier in the day, and thought to combine it with a handful of fresh sage that I've got growing on my balcony, lots of cracked black pepper, a clove of garlic, some dried cranberries and some chopped walnuts.



I formed the mixture into patties and cooked them off. I have to say that served with a dollop of grainy mustard, they were quite delish.

As for sides, I bought this bunch of Easter egg radishes (couldn't resist the name) at the market in the morning.


I sliced them thinly and put them in a bowl, into which I'd added the zest of a lemon, the juice of half a lemon, some salt, a dash of cinnamon, some mint honey from the Carp Fair, and a bunch of torn mint leaves -- again from my balcony. Then I added some sliced carrots and tossed. The flavours were really bold, but it was a nice, refreshing salad. It would have looked better had I used carrots the same diameter as my radishes, but the bag in the back of my fridge was a bit mouldy, so I opted for the baby version instead. Wise choice, me thinks.



And here's what I had for dessert. First of the season. A bit small, but very sweet! Not a bad way to end a week at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment