Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fabulous Finger Lakes


I took a late July roadtrip to New York state's Finger Lakes region. I've been reading a lot lately about how that wine region is a real up and coming tourist destination. Considering it's only about a five-hour drive from Ottawa, it seemed like a doable trip to see for myself.

There are lots of wineries lining each side of Seneca lake (and others). After having lived in the Okanagan Valley for a few years, this area reminded me a lot of it, except not quite as desert-y (or as bible thumpy!).

I sampled a few wines during the trip, some distilled gin, and some locally-made "Champagne" in a cute single serve bottle (see above). Don't worry, I promptly alerted the French authorities about this misuse of this term as soon as I returned to Canada.



I stayed at a really nice hotel at the bottom of Seneca Lake in a small town called Watkins Glen. This was the sunset view from the harbour.




And the harbour, sans sunset.




And a view of the hotel itself. The room had a nice balcony that overlooked the water.




Lots of state parks in the area, and several waterfalls. This one has a name I'm sure, but I didn't bother writing it down.




The trip also included a jaunt to Ithaca, to see the Cornell University, and to Corning to see the glass museum, where they had a paperweight for sale for a measly $43,000 (I bought two). Foodwise, I enjoyed some very nice meals here and here. Maybe my next trip will be in the fall to see the leaves!


No comments:

Post a Comment