Monday, December 13, 2010

Paperwhites and procrastination

See these? I grew them. Yep, I forced them in their little pots of coco husks, covered them with some moss dug up from my backyard, and up they sprung. Notice that they're in flower? That would be a full two weeks before Christmas, right? And they've already been in bloom for about two weeks already. So that would be a full month before the holidays. In other words, an entire month earlier than what was promised on the box. I planted them so they would bloom for Christmas, but instead of eight weeks, these guys needed only four.

Paperwhite FAIL!

Oh, and these will probably be the last paperwhites I ever plant. Why? Because they STINK. I'm serious. Think about a wet diaper, about four hours past changing. Then imagine that scent filling your whole house, and greeting when you come home from work. Festive, huh?

I would include a photo of the amaryllis I also planted, but nothing has happened with it, so I think it's a bit of a dud too. I must have bad bulb luck.

In other news, I haven't really been procrastinating with this blog per se, but I've been busy wrapping up my class, and my camera was MIA in Lakefield for two weeks. So there's that.

But I have been somewhat productive. I wrote this, and this. It's sciencey news about cell phones and water you can use!

Too bad science didn't have a solution for my bulb breakdown.

Back to cooking next time. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment