Sunday, December 6, 2009

Comfort food Sunday

This has been a long, tiring week. I had to work very late on Tuesday night, then spent all day Saturday in my wine class and then had to go back into work for most of today. It was pretty tedious too, making small talk with strangers for hours on end. Ugh. But what helped get me through it was the thought of coming home to something yummy.

I decided that after such an arduous week that a little meatloaf was in order. I don't really follow a recipe for this, but this is how it started today. A pound of lean ground beef, a chopped shallot, a handful of oatmeal, an egg, seven or eight chopped (in the food processor) mushrooms, a couple dashes of worchestershire sauce and some salt and pepper.

I mixed all that together, and added my secret ingredient.



Yep,that's right. Blue cheese. Stinky, smelly blue cheese -- or to be specific, gorgonzola. I crumbled up the whole lot and added it in, then formed the mess into two loaves. No real reason for the pair, other than they're easier to handle.


Here's what they look like after an hour or so in the oven. I'll they probably won't win any beauty contests, but they're tasty little things. And let me just say the combination of blue cheese and meat sounds odd, but trust me when I say you will want to climb into the oven as this bakes, because it smells so unbelievably good!


Here it is served up on my plate with some mashed potatoes (sweet and yellow) and beans. Again, it tastes better than the grey blobs indicate.



Oh yeah, I was pretty industrious this afternoon. While my meatloaf was baking away, I cooked this stock using a chicken I cooked last weekend. Here it is ready to go on the heat. Imagine all the soups I'll get from this pot!
Make yourself a meatloaf this week. You'll be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment